Drama within the Prep offers opportunities for creativity and expression as well as the nurturing of young talent and the development of self-confidence.
There are a wide variety of different performance opportunities throughout the Prep.
Little School (Reception to Year 2)
• Christmas Musical Production
• Summer Musical Production
Juniors (Years 3 to 6)
• Christmas Chapel Services
• Class Assembly Productions
Year 6 Drama Production
Each year, children from Year 6 perform a large-scale musical production. The whole year group is involved and there are three evening performances. The annual production is a highlight in the School calendar and sees exceptional performances from talented pupils. Pupils from Senior School support the production by taking on technical roles, performing in the band or helping with stage make-up.
Past performances include:
Drama in the Curriculum
In Years 5 and 6, Drama lessons form part of the School curriculum and aim to develop skills such as concentration, speaking and listening, sharing ideas, working cooperatively in groups andappreciating each other’s work.
Skills developed include:
- Performance skills and how to use a variety of dramatic techniques
- Speaking and listening skills, specifically: eye contact, voice projection, using a variety of tones, pitches and volumes when speaking
- How to speak expressively
- Non-verbal communication such as facial expression, body language, posture and movement
- Social and interpersonal skills
During lessons, pupils work and study a range of topics that link to the curriculum and reinforce learning within the topic area. Topics include:
- E-Safety & Dilemmas
- Famous Paintings
- Rainforest Drama
- Newspaper Headlines
- Alternative Fairy Tale Endings
- Inspirational Quotes
- World War II Evacuees
- Script Starters
Drama Clubs & Activities
Drama Clubs are available through the wider Co-Curricular programme of Clubs and Activities and children have the opportunity, should they wish, to work towards LAMDA (London Academy of Music & Dramatic Art) qualifications as an optional extra.